Group Therapy for early dementia patients
The prevalence of dementia and age-related cognitive impairment is rising due to an aging population worldwide. There is currently no effective medicinal treatment available, however various cognitive activity programmes can help prevent and delay the progression of the disease. This is especially true if the diagnosis of dementia is made in its early stages, presenting a window of opportunity for various interventions.
Group Therapy is one such intervention for people with dementia that provides engagement and enhances self-esteem, reduces isolation and creates a routine.
Group therapy usually includes a small group of people and 1 or 2 therapists or facilitators. The members of the group start by introducing themselves. The module and design of the therapy session is usually moderated according to the cognitive level and interest areas of the members.
The sessions may focus on discussions, or may include group activities that provide stimulation for thinking, concentration and memory. Group therapy offers a range of delightful activities aimed at general improvement of cognitive and social functioning.
In group therapy, a moderator leads a session which usually lasts for one-two hours. The moderator controls the flow of the conversations and encourages the members to participate in activities and share their feelings, views or experiences.
Group therapy in elderly can produce numerous positive effects:
- Non-judgemental and supportive environment – In group therapy the elderly gets a nonjudgmental and supportive environment which helps in building trust. This makes it easier for the person to open up and express their experiences, views and feelings.
- Connect with people – Group therapy gives the opportunity to connect with people. Socializing becomes difficulty for people with dementia. Being around people with similar problems as them makes it easier for them to connect.
- Reduction in negative thinking and isolation – Being around people and engaging in conversations improves their confidence even outside the group. Support from other group members is a major factor in helping them overcome negative thinking and isolation.
- Boost in self esteem – With time they become comfortable and start understanding the other members of the group, and it helps them deal better with their situation and helps boost their self esteem. Being a part of the group, they see and realize their own capabilities.
- Good learning environment – With more people around, there is less focus on one person. This reduces anxiety and creates an environment optimal for learning.
- Opportunity to reach out and support others – Group therapy not only provides with an opportunity to receive feedback and advice, it also gives an opportunity to reach out and support others. In such discussions members get to learn that they still have so much to contribute and how useful their company can be for others. This improves their happiness level.
Cognitive Stimulation Therapy: A Group Intervention
Cognitive stimulation therapy is one such evidence based, short, group therapy for mild to moderate dementia. One such goal of cognitive stimulation therapy is to stimulate people with dementia through a series of theme based activities designed to help them continue to learn and stay socially engaged.
Each session follows the same structure, however the theme changes. Themes can include topics such as childhood, food, current affairs and using money. The structure followed in this intervention aims to create consistency and routine that will help the person with dementia. The activities and discussions aim at bringing past memories forward by connecting new and old memories.
Samvedna Senior Care’s Cognitive Wellness Program is based on Cognitive Stimulation Therapy. It is exclusively for people with cognitive impairments such as dementia or depression and runs thrice a week at the Gurgaon centre.
We at Samvedna Senior Care aim to help seniors live happy, active and independent lives, in the comfort of their home and community through interactive caregiving.
Samvedna Senior Care was established in October 2013 with two complementary goals – firstly to provide quality home care services to seniors with limited mobility or dementia and hence social interaction, and secondly to facilitate stimulating community interaction and participation.
Our Dementia Care services are –
Cognitive Wellness Programme, Sector 57 Gurgaon –
Samvedna’s Cognitive Wellness Programme is designed for seniors with mild cognitive impairment, early dementia or Parkinson’s, and elderly lacking in enthusiasm and motivation. The aim is to stimulate the mind of the elderly to slow the progression of the disease or impairment. The sessions are 3 days a week, 11AM-1PM.
More – http://www.samvednacare.org/our-work/cognitive-wellness-programme
At-home services –
Dementia intervention activities by trained Care Specialists (already mentioned above). These services are available in Delhi NCR
More – http://www.samvednacare.com/
Please call us for more info – Delhi NCR – 98184 21446, 124 4229659
Dementia Support Group –
Our Dementia Support group in Delhi NCR and Guwahati is a platform for caregivers to share feelings and support each other.
More – http://www.samvednacare.org/our-work/dementia-care
Please call us for more info – Delhi NCR – 98184 21446, 124 4229659 | Guwahati – 9864015872
With our General Well Being Services we aim to raise the quality of life of seniors, specially those who may have limited mobility and social interaction due to various constraints. Our interactive programme keeps them active and engaged through physical, mental and social activities, all in the comfort of their home.